Spotting the Signs of Elder Abuse
Abuse can happen to any older person. Abuse can happen at home, at a relative’s home, or in an eldercare facility. There are many types of abuse, including:
Keep on the look out for the following signs in older adults, that can include:
- Seems depressed, confused, or withdrawn
Isolated from friends and family
- Has unexplained bruises, burns, or scars
- Appears dirty, underfed, dehydrated, over-or undermedicated, or not receiving needed care for medical problems
- Has bed sores or other preventable conditions
- Recent changes in banking or spending patterns
If you suspect elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation, speak with the older adult and then contact the Florida Abuse hotline at 1-800-96-ABUSE. This toll-free number is available 24 hours a day, every day. You can also find Elder Protection Programs from The Department of Elder Affairs for more information on the Florida Abuse hotline.
More information available on the National Institute on Aging’s website.